Social Login: Instagram App Setup (with Instagram Basic Display API)
This document provides instructions on how to properly setup a Instagram application so that users can login/register via Instagram on your site. You will need to purchase the social login extension if you want users to login via Instagram.
Note: Starting October 15, 2019, new client registration and permission review on Instagram API platform are discontinued in favor of the Instagram Basic Display API. If you registered your application before October 15, you should use Instagram API. See instruction Instagram App Setup.
Instagram App creation and setup #
You have to create an Instagram application to use Ultimate Member Social Login extension.
Step 1: Create a Facebook App
Go to developers.facebook.com, click My Apps, and create a new app. Once you have created the app and are in the App Dashboard, navigate to [Settings > Basic], scroll the bottom of page, and click Add Platform.
Choose Website, add your website’s URL, and save your changes.
Step 2: Configure Instagram Basic Display
Click Products, locate the Instagram product, and click Set Up to add it to your app.
Click Basic Display, scroll to the bottom of the page, then click Create New App.
In the form that appears, complete each section using the guidelines below.
- Display Name - Enter the name of the Facebook app you just created.
- Valid OAuth Redirect URIs - Enter your website’s URL. There are three dedicated URI that can capture redirect parameters, for example:
- Deauthorize Callback URL - Enter your website’s URL again.
- Data Deletion Request Callback URL - Enter your website’s URL once again.
Step 3: Add an Instagram Test User
Navigate to [Roles > Roles] and scroll down to the Instagram Testers section. Click Add Instagram Testers and enter your Instagram account’s username and send the invitation.
Open a new web browser and go to www.instagram.com and sign into your Instagram account that you just invited. Navigate to [Profile > Edit Profile > Authorized Applications > Tester Invites] and accept the invitation.
Your Instagram account is now eligible to be accessed by your Facebook app while it is in Development Mode.
Configure extension`s settings #
Go to extensions`s settings page [Ultimate Member > Settings > Extensions > Social Login, enable Instagram Social Connect, and paste API keys using the guidelines below.
- Enable Instagram Social Connect
- Client ID - paste your Instagram App ID displayed in [App Dashboard > Products > Instagram > Basic Display].
- Client Secret - paste your Instagram App Secret displayed in [App Dashboard > Products > Instagram > Basic Display].
[Ultimate Member > Settings > Extensions > Social Login ]
[App Dashboard > Products > Instagram > Basic Display]
Note: Instagram User access tokens are short-lived access tokens and are only valid for 1 hour. To update access token click Update.