This document provides instructions on how to add extra spam protection to your register and login forms using the free Google reCAPTCHA extension.
Installing & activating
To add the Google reCAPTCHA extension to your site please do the following:
- Download the plugin zip folder from here.
- Install the plugin by uploading it to your site by going to plugins > add new > upload plugin.
- On the upload plugin page click on the “choose file” button and select the Google reCAPTCHA zip folder from your computer.
- Once the file um-recaptcha.zip appears on the screen click the “install now” button to install the plugin.
- Wait until “Plugin installed successfully” message appears.
- Click the “activate plugin” link to complete the activation.
Site & secret keys
After you have activated the plugin you will be redirected to the installed plugins page where you should see the following notice:
For the Google reCAPTCHA extension to work on your site you need to generate site and secret keys. If you already have the keys you can skip the next section. If you do not have your reCAPTCHA details already then click the “Generate your site and secret key” button where you will be taken to the official Google reCAPTCHA website.
Generating your site & secret key
To generate your site and secret keys please visit the Google reCAPTCHA site and click the blue “Get reCAPTCHA” button to login to the website using your Google account. Once logged in you will see the following page:
To create your site and secret key please do the following:
- Enter a label for your site e.g Ultimate Member.
- Choose the type of reCAPTCHA - reCAPTCHA v2
- Enter your site’s domain name in the text area (do not include http:// or www and make sure you do not have a forward slash / at end of url).
- Click the register button.
Once you click register your site will be registered with Google reCAPTCHA and you will be redirected to the site overview page which contains the keys. The only two pieces of information you need from this page are the site key and secret key which will look like this:
Once you have your site and secret keys go to the Ultimate Member > Setting > Extensions > reCaptcha section.
The first option allows you to turn on/off the reCAPTCHA from showing on your site’s registration and login forms. Below this option is where you should enter your site key and secret key.
Once you have successfully entered the correct keys the reCAPTCHA will show on your registration and login forms. Please note the reCAPTCHA will not show until you enter the keys. If you enter the wrong key(s) you will see an error appear on the forms where the reCAPTCHA should be.
Turn on/off on forms
The extension provides added flexibility in that it allows you to show/hide the reCAPTCHA from showing on a per form basis. This is useful if you decide that you want to show the reCAPTCHA on your registration form but not on your login form.
To show/hide the reCAPTCHA on a specific form you need to edit the desired form, go to the Google reCAPTCHA widget and turn on/off the button and update the form.
That is everything you need to successfully add the official Google reCAPTCHA to your site. If you have any questions about this extension please ask in the Google reCAPTCHA extension forum.