How to create a staging site
There are several ways to create a staging site for testing and development:
1. The hosting may have a feature of creating a staging site. Use this feature if it exists.
2. You may use special plugins like WP STAGING to create a staging site.
3. Follow these steps to create a staging site manually:
- Export the database of the live site to the SQL file.
- Create a new database. Skip this step if you have created a staging database before.
- Import data from the SQL file to the staging database.
- Modify values of options siteurl and home in the database table "PREFIX_options". The value should be an URL used for the staging site.
- Copy all files from the folder of the live site to the folder of the staging site.
- Open the file wp-config.php and change the database configuration.
- Change the file .htaccess if needed. You may need to change RewriteBase and RewriteRule if your staging site is located in the subdirectory.
Image - Modify values for options siteurl and home
Image - Change the database configuration
Image - Example of the .htaccess file for the staging site in the subdirectory