This document provides instructions on how to add integrate MailChimp with Ultimate Member using the MailChimp extension.
Get API key from MailChimp
The first thing you need to do is successfully create your site to MailChimp. To do this please do the following:
- Go to http://mailchimp.com/ and either create an account or login if you already have an account.
- Once logged in click on your username at top right of page and click on account from the menu dropdown
- On the account page click on extras and select API Keys
- Scroll down page until you come to the “Your API Keys” section where you should see your API key (If no key shows you will need to create a new key)
- Copy this API Key and add it to the API Key field on the MailChimp tab on the settings page of Ultimate Member
Create a MailChimp list
For the integration between MailChimp and Ultimate Member to work you need to create a MailChimp list. To create a list please do the following:
- Click on lists in the header menu on MailChimp
- On the lists page click the “Create list” button
- On the create list page fill in all the details and click save
- You new list will then be created
Adding a list on your site
To allow users on your site to subscribe to this MailChimp list you need to create a MailChimp list on your site also. To do this please do the following:
- Click on MailChimp in the Ultimate Member menu and click “Add new list”
- Give the list a title
- Select your MailChimp list from the choose a list dropdown (If you have successfully connected to MailChimp via API key you will see your MailChimp lists in the dropdown).
- Choose a list – Select your MailChimp list from the dropdown (If you have successfully connected to MailChimp via API key you will see your MailChimp lists in the dropdown)
- List Description in Account Page – This is the text that appears next to signup checkbox on account page
- List Description in Registration – This is the text that appears next to signup checkbox on the registration forms
- Automatically add new users to this list – If turned on users will automatically be subscribed to this list when they register. When using this option you must still add the MailChimp field to the form (the field will not show but it is still required to be added to the form)
- Which roles can subscribe to this list – Select which roles can subscribe to this list. Users who cannot subscribe to this list will not see this list on their account page.
Once you have setup the list and clicked the publish button the page will refresh and a new widget will appear called “Merge user meta”
Merge user meta
Once you have set up the list and clicked the publish button the page will refresh and a new widget will appear called “Merge user meta”. Merge user meta allows you to add a user’s meta to your MailChimp list. Not all field types can be merged with MailChimp. The MailChimp list must also be setup in a specific way to allow user meta to be added to the MailChimp list.
Setting up MailChimp list for merging user meta
To setup a MailChimp list to merge data you need to create fields for the list. To do this please do the following:
- Go to lists and select the desired list
- Ideally you would use a new list for your site
- Click signup forms and then select general forms
- On the next page you will see the form builder
- You are going to use the form builder to add additional fields to your list and these fields will be how you merge user meta to your list
- Important – All fields that you add to MailChimp form must be a standard text field. Even if you create a dropdown on your site the corresponding field added to the MailChimp form needs to be a text field. This is because the user meta is synced to MailChimp as standard text.
- You will notice that the form already includes Email Address, First Name and Last Name. You can leave these as they are.
Adding a field to MailChimp form
To make it easier to follow we will explain how to do this using the pre-defined country field from Ultimate Member. This example assumes you have added the Country field to your register or profile form and users have selected a country.
- Click the text field button to add a new text field to your form
- Make the field label “Country”
- Make field tag “COUNTRY” (you can leave this as the default field tag if you like but it can be easier to remember if you give the field tag a name which you can associate with the field)
- You can leave the rest of the options as they are
- Click save field button
- The country field will appear on the MailChimp form
- You can repeat this for other fields you want to sync to MailChimp (remember not all UM field types can be merged into a MailChimp list)
Merge user meta widget
Once you have created all of the fields on your MailChimp list go back to the Ultimate Member list and refresh the page. You will then see a list of all of your Ultimate Member fields on the left. You then need to select the mailchimp field from the dropdown on the right that you want to sync to.
After you have selected the fields you want to merge into the MailChimp list click the update button to save the changes. You can then signup as a test user or change your user’s information e.g change a your user’s country.
Syncing between your site and MailChimp
To minimise the impact of syncing data between your site and MailChimp the syncing will not happen in real-time. Instead the syncing process will occur automatically every 24 hours. However, for testing purposes or if you require to sync immediately the plugin provides an option to manually sync to MailChimp when you click the “Sync now” button which you will find on the MailChimp widget on the Ultimate Member dashboard (Please note: the button will only appear if there is data to sync).
Adding list(s) to a register form
Ultimate Member provides two options for adding users to MailChimp. 1 – Users are automatically added to the MailChimp list when they register and 2 – users can select a checkbox on register form to opt-in to signing up to your MailChimp list(s). To show the signup checkbox on your register forms you need to:
- Edit the register form
- Click + icon to add new field
- Select MailChimp field
- Give the field a title and select the list you want to add from the dropdown
- Update form and check register form on front-end. The MailChimp signup list should now appear on the form